Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Winter attire, heating and my left hand

Today I am the coldest person on Earth, or at the very least, in my office.

The hand which I keep on top of my desk for things like moving the mouse from one web page to another, and sometimes to answer my phone, is going blue. My other hand is kept under the desk - no, not for funny business, but because there is a heater under there that has all the power to warm one hand, that being my left hand because it is more special than my right.

You would think that after suffering through 24 winters (minus about 3 whilst living in qld - they can't really be counted, and one which I merrily skipped away from and enjoyed a summer in Italy instead, this resulted in doom but thats a story for another day) I would be well accustomed to dressing for the colder months. This is not so.

Actually I cannot think of one female I know who does know how to get through winter without freezing. I mean, we can stay indoors next to the heater and have a jumper and trackies on over the weekend, but does this really count?

Not in THIS argument.

Definitely so if Pending-Husband is telling me I should wear more clothes instead of having the heater on full. Pending-Husband - Do you want me to be uncomfortable IN MY OWN HOUSE (read: not my own house, but close enough)?! Appalling.

Where was I? Oh yes. Coldness and women.
I look around my office at the ladies I work with for a bit of winter clothing inspiration, and I get none. Besides adding tights, everything we are wearing could be worn in summer. WHY?! Going shopping doesn't help. You can buy a big coat to keep you warm but you aren't going to wear it at your desk - thats madness. I am currently wearing gloves inside and I feel like a lunatic. These are outside items. What are we meant to wear INSIDE??

Coldness and men doesn't seem to exist, except in dire circumstances. Case in point I just spoke to one who is on his way to sit outside in the icy air (and I mean ICY). I do not see him wearing more layers, in fact it appears he is wearing LESS. I confront him about this and he shrugs and says "Eh.. I'll be right" while I sit at my desk, feet on the heater, gloves on, shivering like a mental patient*.

What do they know that we don't? And why wont they share?!

My left hand is getting far too cold on top of the desk whilst I type, so I am going to put it back under the desk.

Ladies - Any suggestions for winter attire that is warming, but doesn't make me look abominable snowman-esque?
Men - Want to let us in on your little secret?


Love,

x


*Mum - YES I am wearing other clothes as well. Beat you to it.

4 comments:

  1. Bahaha, I went out yesteday in jeans and a shirt. I got annoyed when I had to walk in the shade because it meant I had to put my cardigan on. There are some good things about Sydney, I am discovering.

    Fun fact: I know of the curious clothing habits of women you refer to though, and apparently this is only a problem for Australian women. As one of my housemates pointed out in a fit of annoyance at "winter" - "You don't even have winter clothes! You just have summer clothes and tights! Cardigans do not classify as winter clothes!" Or something very much along those lines, with a bit more flailing about and expletives. I found it amusing, and slightly profound...:P

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is not often I agree with a flailing American (just a guess), however I feel I must. Still, I am totally unaware of what "winter clothes" are to the rest of the world. There are cardigans, gloves, tights and scarves, then there are snow suits. What goes in between that we are obviously missing here?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. me thinks, now that you're closing in on 25, that it's perhaps time for the long underwear and the spencers??

    ReplyDelete
  4. Actually I am closing out 25 and opting to stay under it.
    I bet those are both extremely comfortable though...

    ReplyDelete